If you’ve never owned a pet, it can be hard to know where to start when it comes to supplies. Pet stores can be overwhelming with so many items and goodies to choose from. And no one wants to spend a ton of money in hopes they find the right things for their new pet. If you are a first-time pet owner and need somewhere to start, check out this list of essential supplies for dogs and cats.
- Food and water bowls
- Food – Talk to your vet to figure out what food is best.
- Treats – This can help make training easier.
- Collar and leash
- ID tag – You should include your phone number on the tag.
- Crate – You can purchase a plastic or metal crate, just make sure there is a soft space for your dog to lie down.
- Dog bed
- Brush – If your pet has long fur, brushing is important to prevent matting and excessive shedding.
- Poop baggies – Cleaning up after your pet is important.
- Toys – Ropes, stuffed animals, balls and more.
and water bowls
– Talk to your vet to figure out what food is best.
box, scooper and kitty litter
tag – You should include your phone number on the tag.
carrier – While your cat likely won’t sleep in a crate, this will make car
– Try toys that include catnip for a special treat.
This list is a great place to start when you are getting supplies to welcome home your first pet. It will let you focus less on the basics and more on cuddling your new friend!